Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Best Guacamole

I made a bowl of guacamole for lunch today since I have 4 avocados in the fridge. It reminds me of the trip to Salt Lake City, USA with my SIL and our friend Jamie, last October 2012. Everyday my SIL and I would go to Harmon's to purchase ready made guacamole or hummus, fruits and salad plus some chips and breads. Those were our basic necessities back then... haha. Six days in SLC I lost nearly 4 kg.

The recipe is taken from this site posted by Elise Bauer. The recipe is very simple, tasty and to die for. I think it's one of the best dips I've ever made on my own. Thanks Elise for sharing. You only need 10 minutes to prepare it.

You need 7 main ingredients which I list according to their importance from 1 - 7: 
1. Avocado, 2. Salt, 3. Lime/Lemon juice, 4. Chiles, 5. Onion, 6. Cilantro, 7. Tomato.
However, I don't have cilantro in stock and it tastes just great!




Perfect Guacamole Recipe


2 ripe avocados

1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)

1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced (I used the normal chiles [lada besar] we have and added 3 bird chiles [cili padi])

2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped (I do not add for I don't have in stock)

1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

A dash of freshly grated black pepper

1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Garnish with red radishes or jicama. (I don't have this too)
Serve with tortilla chips. (I bought Mission brand original flavour)

METHOD

1 Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl. (Go to this site to learn how to cut and peel an avocado)
2 Using a fork to roughly mash the avocado. (I don't overdo it because guacamole is best when it is a little chunky.) 
3. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper and mash some more. (Since chili peppers vary individually in their hotness, you want to start with a half of one chili pepper and add to the guacamole according to your desired degree of hotness.) 
4. Only add the chopped tomatoes to the guacamole when you are ready to serve it.The recipe asks to cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it and refrigerate until ready.
5. Just before serving, chop the tomato, add to the guacamole and mix.
6. Serve with tortilla chips.
Variations
Elise gave some suggestions for a guacamole variation:
1. A very quick guacamole: take a 1/4 cup of salsa and mix it in with your mashed avocados.
2. The simplest version of guacamole: mash avocados with salt. 
3. You can add either sour cream or cottage cheese to your guacamole dip too. 
Yield: Serves 2-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Meal for Me...

A Perfect Meal for Me If I should have a meal I know how I would want it to be, There’d be colourful fruit and vegies And a piec...